Can travel with kids be *gasp* relaxing?!
As experts in the realm of sensory play, we understand the importance of fostering opportunities for independent play–even (ESPECIALLY) during vacations!
We're here to help you make the most of your upcoming travels by providing some fantastic ideas on what to pack for your trip.
Aside from alllllll the snacks, adding these sensory play essentials to your packing list will keep your kids engaged, connected, and playing more independently throughout your vacation. Let's dive right in!
- Our unique double-sided sensory Calm Kits: These portable wonders are perfect for keeping little hands busy during car rides, flights, or downtime at the hotel, cabin, or Grandma’s house. They provide sensory input and promote focus and relaxation. Our kits are also unique in that they separate the dough (or sand) from the little pieces to make cleaning up and care a breeze, allowing kids to more independently access this part of the play.
- Play Trays: Having a literal physical and visual border to contain the play can help keep things less messy and stressful for all involved. These small portable trays are the perfect size and keep your kids playing for longer while encouraging their fine motor skills, creativity, and giving them a bit more structure.
- Play Mats and (bonus) dry erase markers: Our variety of double-sided play mats extend the play even further, giving kids more prompts for creative play. Hot tip: did you know you can also draw on them with washable or dry erase markers?! From decorating turtle shells, to filling their own meal plate, these mats are sure to captivate their curiosity and create more open-ended opportunities for engaged play!
- Basic Art Supplies: Never underestimate the power of a fresh pad of paper and a new box of crayons. Oftentimes in our homes, simplicity always wins. I almost never go anywhere on vacation with my kids without a coloring book and a few crayons, markers, or colored pencils. Coloring is very regulating for me too as the adult and I know co-regulation starts with me.
- Painter's Tape: As you probably know by now, we are HUGE fans of open-ended process art and play. True story: a roll of painter's tape kept my kids engaged and playing one rainy day at our cabin recently for a little over an hour. They created designs on the floor, made a race track, designed an entire house floor plan for their Barbies, and more! Trust us, throw a roll in your bag--you never know when it will come in handy.
Many times, family vacations with kids can feel like anything but a vacation! We know, we've been there.
When you bring our kits on the go, you are providing opportunities for your kids to engage their senses, regulate their nervous system, spark their creativity, and foster independence… hopefully giving you a moment to kick back and relax…or at least enjoy a cup of coffee or tea while it’s hot.
We hope these ideas inspire you to pack your bags with sensory play and regulating art in mind.
If you have any questions or need further guidance on how to incorporate our sensory play kits into your vacation, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Thank you for being a part of our wonderful Present Not Perfect family.
Emily & Abbie 💖